Saturday, May 10, 2008

LIKE MOTHER, LIKE DAUGHTER

I grew up in a traditional home where my father works and my mother stayed home to care for us: 6 children and all.

I remember at an early age of 10, told myself that I will never be like my mother; who never had a formal career but chose to have a small business just so she could stay home and be with us. I envied my classmates who tell that their moms work in a bank and other big companies. From then on I vowed not to follow my mom’s path.

In college, I was on my own, being a working student. After graduating with a degree in AB Psychology I worked as an HR Assistant in a Recruitment Company, a month before my regularization I resigned….I was not happy. Next job was in a Telecom company as an Administrative Asst., after almost 2 years I resigned….I was not happy. I’ve been in many different companies…still I was not happy. I married in 2000 and got pregnant in 2002. My sisters (who are stay-at-home moms) told me to resign as soon as they learned I was carrying twins. I did not because I never wanted to be like my mom. Two months after I gave birth I went back to work. But each day, I grew restless and eventually I was unhappy at work again. I finally resigned from work in 2003. Staying home everyday is what I dreaded since I was 10 yrs old. But slowly, I find myself becoming more relax, happy and contented as I see my twin kids growing up. Bathing them, feeding them and playing with them soothe my soul. It has been 5 years since my last job, I found out that following my mom’s path is not a bad idea after all. I now have 3 kids to take care of; the tasks are getting bigger but surely life at home is getting sweeter and happier. I am now into party hosting and coordination. I am also part time insurance agent. I get to enjoy work and my kids at the same time. My children are my priority, I do my part time jobs on a weekend.

In 1993 my mom passed away at an early age of 43 due to kidney failure. I learned many things from my mother like the art of forgiveness and the art of asking for forgiveness She was a very compassionate woman, generous and humble. She once said to me that life too short not to enjoy life. She taught me to live life fully, to love more, to give more. But most of all I learned to spend quality time to my children. My mom died early but I truly believe she lived her life fully.

I salute all the mothers who stick to their jobs and have flourishing careers but I don’t envy them anymore. I have found the career I was looking for: A full time mother, a wife, a party host, a friend, a daughter, a sister…and all.

No comments: